Sonntag, 26. Mai 2013

We Love... The Art of Getting By




 This is what I love vacation for. You have time for things you truly want to do! For me it's for example watching movies that have been on my list for ever (I have lists for everything). My dad was nice enough to let me order some movies on amazon lately so I even got to watch them legally.
 Yesterday I watched The Art of Gettiny By, a wonderful coming of age movie starring Freddie Highmore and lovely Emma Roberts.


 Set in Manhattan the story focuses on George, a senior in High School who has trouble figuring out the sense of (his) life. We are all going to die anyways, so why bother with homework, graduation, college...? Problem here: his parents as well as his teachers don't exacly share his views. Instead of doing homework he doodles all of the time, everything and everywhere. His Books are full with monsters and a beautiful mess set free from his messed up mind. But one day he covers for a girl, somking on the schools roof. They get to meet and she seems to who understand or at least admire him for his view on life. Sally.

"

Sally: I have fears but I thought they were pretty run-of-the-mill: pain, death.
George: Not me. I fear life.
 Of course they become friends. She - beautiful, popular, openhearted - showes him - withdrawn, artistical, pensive - the "normal" teenage life and fun in life while he introduces him to his world of doodles and art and a lot of thoughts and worries. Naturally he falls in love with her.

"  

Sally: Are you okay?
George: I'm allergic to hormones.
Sally: What hormones?
George: My own.

 But he is shy and inexperient as he is he seems to screw it up. And she does too, kinda. Both overvelmed by their feelings drive through the rollercoaster of almost beeing grown-up. But only almost. 

"

Sally: You know we're going to be together one day, we just have to sort through all of our messed up issues first, and you have a lot of girls to sleep with to get out of your system.

 For me, a coming-of-age-movie-lover, it's one of the stories that give you this warm fuzzy feeling. You will smile. And then you will smile even more - because you realize you are smiling. 


xxx V

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen